Labor Day is upon us and for most of us it’s the last day to have family and friends over before the start of Fall. BBQs and fun activities come to mind first and we wanted to give you a few tips on how to help keep your pets safe this Labor Day.
Barbecues: Meals made on our grills are some of the tastiest we’ll have all year, but for our dogs it can be harmful. Fat drippings can contain a large amount of oil that can easily put your pet at risk of developing pancreatitis. Symptoms displayed will be vomiting, diarrhea, intense abdominal pains and other affects to organs. If left untreated, it can be life-threatening.
Charcoal: Not every dog will find it appetizing, but it can cause a seriously upset stomach and even blockage if a large enough piece is ingested.
Tiki Torches: The liquid used for the torches contains petroleum distillates that are very irritating to the skin and stomach. These distillates are even more dangerous when your pet vomits the liquid back up, causing it to slide down into the lungs. Immediate effect are coughing/wheezing, choking and even death. If left untreated, it can also cause chemical pneumonia. If the liquid only get son the skin, quickly wash it with dish soap to stop any further irritation.
Bug Spray: Even though they are faulty low on the toxic scale, putting not the spray around your pet can actually cause eye irritation. I’m sure this seems like common sense to everyone, but wind can change the flow of the spray and surprisingly always end up in your pet’s eyes – it’s even happened to me. Another tip is to keep them away from your pet’s reach as well. Some may find it enticing and try and take a bite. Punctured cans damage your pet’s eyes and throat if they are pressurized enough.
Bones: We all know the dangers of bones splintering, but making sure your guests know the dangers is even more important. Of course they want to give your pet a little treat and seem nice – especially children – but they need to know that punctures in their intestinal tract is not a good thing. There are even instances where bones can get lodge in your pet’s throat, so making everyone aware is your best defense.
Corn on the Cob: These can actually cause blockage in the intestinal tract, so making those are thrown out right away would be beneficial as well.
Dips: Dips aren’t the worst thing in the world, but some do contain certain foods that can be harmful. Onions and garlic can affect the red blood cells and lead to anemia. Avocados are non-toxic, but contain large amounts of fat which can lead to pancreatitis. Avocado pits are harmful as well if ingested because they can cause obstruction. Chances are low of that happening, but if you have pet that likes to dig through the garbage…
Fruit Trays: Our pets love fruit and can have many of them – EXCEPT GRAPES! Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in pets, so please make sure they don’t get a hold of them.
Desserts: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. The list of harmful affects caused by chocolate ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, rapid heart beat – even death! Even more common nowadays is xylitol which is used as a sugar substitute. It can cause s life-threataning drop in blood glucose and possible liver failure.
Following the tips above can make sure you and your pet have a safe and fun-filled weekend. Enjoy your Labor Day everyone!
Happy Thanksgiving! Here is a helpful chart on what to NOT feed your pet on the holiday! Some of these I was not aware were a danger.. Let’s keep our pets safe!