poisonous plants

We all know certain foods for dogs are poisonous, but what about plants and flowers?

Pet owners are aware that certain foods should never be consumed by certain animals. For example, chocolates and grapes should never be shared with dogs. However, plenty of pet owners are unaware that certain flowers are poisonous to dogs. If you have a garden, you may want to check the list to see if any named plants are growing. The range of these plants can be potentially dangerous to very dangerous. Don’t be paranoid, Berks Pet Care is here to help.

Azalea

Although it may be a beautiful plant, if you own a pet perhaps you leave it out of your home and garden. By ingesting a few pedals your dog could be facing serious health issues. The poisonous flower can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and in some cases can lead to come and even death.

Daffodils

Daffodils are one of the first plants to bloom in the springtime. Because of its vibrant beauty, your dog will certainly look at it. However, be warned, the entire plant is poisonous from the stem to the bulb. Eating some of the petals could lead to drastic drops in your pets blood pressure.

Lilies

Also one of the more toxic plants to dogs. Try to keep your pet away from this flower because only a few petals ingested will lead to major health issues.

Butter Cup

Finally, one of the most toxic flowers. Certainly the name feels cute and inviting but do not fall for the appearance. Butter Cup if eaten by your pet can lead to severe damage to the digestive system.

Need someone to watch and walk your dog who is aware of the toxic plants? Give us a call at (610) 467-7003 or use our online contact form.